Antwort: [Samba] pdbedit syntax for forcing user to change password

Mathias.Wohlfarth at mw-eb.de Mathias.Wohlfarth at mw-eb.de
Fri Jan 7 12:52:37 GMT 2005

We have (had) the same problem.
The new password control in samba 3 is something we have been waiting for
a long time and it is a good feature.
But these functions seem to be fallen from heaven. Whenever we put a
question concerning passwords to this forum, we never got an answer. Same
with this one.
We have solved the problem by setting sambaPwdMustChange to 0 after
changing the password with smbpasswd. We are using ldap and so we are able
to manipulate the user data in ldap. when you are using tdbsam, we do not
no how to manipulate, because nobody knows, how the data is organized.
We recommend to use ldap, also for other reasons (i.e. if you want to
exclude some users from being forced to change the password after the
specified time you kann use pdbedit -x, but the user is still requested to
change the password (allthough he must not). In this case we set
sambaPwdMustChange to -1).
regards Mathias

Mathias Wohlfarth EDV-Beratung
Thomas-Mann-Str.1