[Samba] Problems when using cupsaddsmb

Fabian Steiner gentoo at fabis-site.net
Thu Jan 6 22:43:28 GMT 2005

Hi!

First of all, I have to admit that it is my first post on this list, so
please be lenied toward me, if I don't obey some of the rules ;-) I'll
try my best :-)

I am just trying to get my samba-server work as a print server by using
CUPS. The OS of the server is Gentoo Linux and I'm using samba-3.0.9-r1.
The clients are win 2k/xp home. I can already see my shares (files and
drivers) in the windows networking neighbourhood, but unfortunately the
configuration of the printer (Lexmark 3200) fails, since windows is
looking for some *.inf files which cannot be found. Printing on the
server is possible, though (using the lpr -plexmark test.text command).
When looking for some tutorials about this, I found this one:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=110931 , which said that
cups-samba-5.0rc3.tar.gz  would have to be installed and that**
cupsaddsmb -a -v -U root  would be the command I am looking for. So I
installed it and three files were copied to the /usr/share/cups/drivers
directory. The next thing to be done was to run the command above, but
the output isn't as expected:
Password for root required to access localhost via SAMBA:
Running command: rpcclient localhost -N -U'root%pw' -c 'setdriver
lexmark lexmark'
Succesfully set lexmark to driver lexmark.

So no directories like W32X86 were created in /var/lib/samba/printers
and my clients still can't find the files which would be needed to get
the printer work.
Here is my /etc/samba/smb.conf:

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

workgroup = milchstrasse
server string = Samba-Server %v
printcap name = cups
load printers = yes
printing = cups
printer admin = root
log file = /var/log/samba3/log.%m
max log size = 100
hosts allow = 192.168.0. 192.168.1. 127.
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /var/lib/samba/private/smbpasswd
passdb backend = tdbsam

==============================
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes
public = no

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba # rwx-rwx-rwx
browseable = no
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = no
printable = yes
printer admin = root,user

[print$]
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
browseable = yes
read only = yes
write list = @adm root
guest ok = no

[lexmark]
comment = MeinLexmark3200Drucker
printable = yes
path = /var/spool/samba # rwx-rwx-rwx
public = yes
guest ok = yes
printer admin = root,user

[public]
comment = oeffentliches zeug
path = /home/samba/public
public = yes
writable = yes
; write list = @staff

Does anybody of you know the reason for this problem with cupsaddsmb and
the fact that directories like W32X86 are not ceated? I am really
looking forward to your answers!

Regards,

Fabian