[Samba] Use "wbinfo" to create local user/group, but where is the account ?

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Thu Jan 6 21:02:42 GMT 2005

On Thursday 06 January 2005 09:44, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Iap, Singuan wrote:
> | wbinfo has several options on managing the local user/group accounts.
> | But these accounts seem
> |                not system account (/etc/passwd),
> |                not smbpasswd managed accounts ,
> |                not remote ADS accounts. (via winbindd)
> | What are those acccounts for?
>
> The winbind local groups were intended as portabler replacements
> for the 'add user script', et. al. params.  But the concept
> never really caught on.  The UNIX user and group information
> is stored in the winbindd_idmap.tdb on local disk.
>
> Unless people voice a strong objection, this will probably
> be filed in the 'good idea that never made it mainstream'
> pile of code.

Jerry,

I know of only three small sites that use the wbinfo generated accounts
feature. I wonder how many others are using this feature? If the usage is low
maybe we should simply zap that functionality from the code.

- John T.