[Samba] shifting samba machine

Abe Shelton abe at blur.com
Thu Jan 6 19:39:45 GMT 2005

I tried this a week ago and afterward, none of the windows clients on
our network would recognize "admin users" (Domain admins) as actual
Administrators. It could have been because of differences in user and
machine accounts (/etc/passwd, /etc/group and /etc/shadow* are probably
really important in this regard), but even after quite a few hours of
debugging, I still couldn't get the windows clients to "trust" the PDC's
admin users.

A better way to migrate/shift the PDC machine may be to transition to an
LDAP backend rather than smbpasswd, and then setup the machine to be
shifted to as a BDC. Then, after all is working with the LDAP-based
PDC/BDC setup, decommission the PDC and shift the BDC into place.

Abe