[Samba] LDAP+samba dc docs

Koenraad Lelong k.lelong at ace-electronics.be
Thu Jan 6 08:41:52 GMT 2005

Hans du Plooy wrote:

> On Thursday 06 January 2005 09:22, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
>
>>I think there was a recent post of you, which says all authentication,
>>including Linux, should go through LDAP. If this is correct, I think
>>this should be stressed in all documents concerning Samba/LDAP.
>

> Hi Koenraad,
>
> I did post the LDAP athentication issue, but that was to a different list -
> post content was slightly different.  SUSE offers LDAP authentication but I
> had trouble getting it setup.  Apart from samba I need to have other things
> work with LDAP too.
>
> Thanks for your reply and to John H Terpstra
>
> Dankie
I didn't mean you, Hans. I was referring to a post of John (Re: [Samba]
PDC + LDAP group mappings, of 30 dec) :
> For the record:
> =========
>
> If you use LDAP with Samba it is essential that ALL your UNIX (POSIX) accounts
> (both for users and for groups) are in the LDAP backend. Samba requires the
> SambaSAM account data also in LDAP. It is NOT possible with Samba to have
> only the SambaSAM account information in LDAP and not the UNIX accounts in
> LDAP.
P.S. If you succeeded in setting up an LDAP-server, did you use a how-to
? I'm trying to do the same, but I need to study a bit/lot more. I find
it a shame that SuSE's Yast does not have an option (I know of) to setup
an LDAP-server to authenticate. AFAIK you can only set it up to
autenticate against one (i.e. a client), at installation time. But then,
it would be too easy ;-), and maybe some finer points would be lost.
--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Koenraad Lelong