[Samba] General Samba Questions

john.debella at teradyne.com john.debella at teradyne.com
Thu Jan 6 04:21:47 GMT 2005

Hi,

We've been having lots of issues with our Linux based Samba servers since
the Windows domains have migrated to AD. We were hoping and expecting
that, at least in the short term, we could run in "mixed" mode and not
have to make any changes to our Samba servers. However, things just aren't
working well. Also, I've posted several issues to this list over the last
several weeks and many of the issues I've encountered have gone
unresolved.

So, the question(s) I have is what is the recommended/suggested Samba
version and configuration we should consider deploying in an
infrastructure running with Windows 2003 servers and AD? We are running
primarily RedHat 9 and RedHat ES 30 and a majority of our Samba servers
are currently running 3.0.7 with some running 2.2.7a, (both of which are
RedHat's distributions). We've had all kinds of problems varying from
intermittent "password server not available" issues, to smbd locking up
and most recently having problems changing a server from server to domain
security style. Interestingly, (or maybe not), none of these problems
existed prior to the AD upgrades........

I'm considering making an effort to go full ads mode on the samba servers,
however, I've also seen that others have had issues doing this.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
-John