[Samba] Isolated printer problem

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Tue Jan 4 21:54:36 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 14:43, Misty Stanley-Jones wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got one printer on our network where the drivers have to be installed
> locally.  This has been a pain in the butt so far, and today is no
> different. I've got 10 users using this printer on Windows 2000.  They are
> all administrators on their local machines.  I installed the printer on
> each of their systems by browsing to \\server\, opening the Printers
> folder, right-clicking the printer, and clicking Install.  I get asked if I
> want to use the local driver, I say yes.  The driver installs, and on 9 out
> of the 10 computers all is well.  On the 10th computer, the user can print
> to the printer just fine, but cannot see any jobs in the queue.  His jobs
> are visible to other users, but he can't see anyone's jobs.  Another odd
> side-effect on his computer is that he cannot change any of the "Printing
> Defaults" such as whether the job starts printing before it has finished
> spooling.  He just gets an error that says "Settings could not be changed."
> I would expect him to get such an error if he is using a driver installed
> on the server, but not if he used a driver from his local system, and he is
> an administrator.
>
> Sorry if this is a simple one but I haven't seen it before.

Is the 10th user a manager of the "printer operators" group?

At "log level = 5" what do the logs for that 10th machine show has happened. I
suspect you will find your answer there.

	log level = 5
	max log size = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m

Note: %m gets expanded to the name of the workstation.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member