[Samba] Isolated printer problem

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Tue Jan 4 21:43:24 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I've got one printer on our network where the drivers have to be installed
locally.  This has been a pain in the butt so far, and today is no different.
I've got 10 users using this printer on Windows 2000.  They are all
administrators on their local machines.  I installed the printer on each of
their systems by browsing to \\server\, opening the Printers folder,
right-clicking the printer, and clicking Install.  I get asked if I want to
use the local driver, I say yes.  The driver installs, and on 9 out of the 10
computers all is well.  On the 10th computer, the user can print to the
printer just fine, but cannot see any jobs in the queue.  His jobs are
visible to other users, but he can't see anyone's jobs.  Another odd
side-effect on his computer is that he cannot change any of the "Printing
Defaults" such as whether the job starts printing before it has finished
spooling.  He just gets an error that says "Settings could not be changed."
I would expect him to get such an error if he is using a driver installed on
the server, but not if he used a driver from his local system, and he is an
administrator.

Sorry if this is a simple one but I haven't seen it before.

Misty