[Samba] Question about soft mounting samba shares...

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Tue Jan 4 20:36:54 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 13:28, BJ Quinn wrote:
> I'm backing up a bunch of Windows machines onto a linux box (FC3,  Samba
> 3.0.8-0.pre1.3) and it works great... UNLESS some idiot disconnects or
> shuts down his computer while I'm running the backup, and then my rsync
> command hangs while trying to copy the files from that computer's
> smbmounted drive to the server.  Isn't there some sort of way to soft mount
> the samba share or something or allow a timeout or whatever?

Sorry, you seem to have your wires crossed! smbfs is a Linux kernel facility
and has nothing at all to do with Samba. smbmount is only a front-end to the
Linux kernel based smbfs interface.

The smbfs technology is mostly obsolete and has been replaced with the CIFSFS
toolset. Again, CIFSFS is NOT a part of Samba and for any issues you should
identify and address your issues with the correct mailing list.

Cheers,
John T.
--
John H Terpstra