[Samba] removing a file lock

David Mendenhall dmenden at wested.org
Tue Jan 4 18:56:28 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a way to remove a file lock. I haven't found any
method using the smb tools. I'm assuming I could remove the file lock by
deleting the entry in the locking.tbd file, but the keys are stored as
binary, so I can't figure out a way to give tdbtool a proper key name to
delete the entry. Anyone know how to remove a file lock? We're using
samba version 3.0.10.

The reason I'm looking into this is that when saving a file using a
Mac's smb client, it creates a "dot underscore" resource fork file, but
doesn't unlock this resource fork when it unlocks the data file. The
result is that other Macs can save the data file, but not the resource
file, causing all kinds of strange behavior. I've seen mention of this
problem on this list, but the only solution I've seen has been to buy
Thursby's Mac client, which is cost prohibitive for us. As a hack, I
hope was hoping to routinely parse the locking.tdb and delete any
orphaned ._ file locks. Not the best solution, but it should get us by
if we can't get a fix from Apple.

Any help would be appreciated.

-dmenden