[Samba] pptp/pppd 2.4.3 ntlm auth acts different to your example

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Tue Jan 4 12:41:09 GMT 2005

Hi Andrew i studied
http://hawkerc.net/staff/abartlet/comp3700/final-report.pdf
and did
linux:~ # wbinfo -p
Ping to winbindd succeeded on fd 4
linux:~ # wbinfo -t
checking the trust secret via RPC calls succeeded
( joining the domain itself worked as you described , but after building
a  machine account

net rpc join -S localhost)

next lines
would be ( taken from  your report )
ntlm_auth --username=example --domain=EXAMPLE
 but this is what i get

ntlm_auth [-b] [-f] [-d] [-l] domain\controller [domain\controller ...]
-b enables load-balancing among controllers
-f enables failover among controllers (DEPRECATED and always active)
-l changes behavior on domain controller failyures to last-ditch.
-d enables debugging statements if DEBUG was defined at build-time.

You MUST specify at least one Domain Controller.
You can use either \ or / as separator between the domain name
and the controller name
ntlm_auth: invalid option -- O
unknown option: -?. Exiting
ntlm_auth usage:
ntlm_auth [-b] [-f] [-d] [-l] domain\controller [domain\controller ...]
-b enables load-balancing among controllers
-f enables failover among controllers (DEPRECATED and always active)
-l changes behavior on domain controller failyures to last-ditch.
-d enables debugging statements if DEBUG was defined at build-time.

You MUST specify at least one Domain Controller.
You can use either \ or / as separator between the domain name
and the controller name

(i double checked the pptpd logs and winbind logs
it seems clear that winbind is never asked by the plugin)

myppp.options
plugin winbind.so
ntlm_auth-helper "/usr/sbin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=ntlm-server-1"

/usr/sbin/ntlm_auth is taken out of squid helpers

its not a failure from general pptpd/pppd cause it works like charme
with chap only

Any idea?
Best Regards