[Samba] Unable to join domain with XP: "The parameter is incorrect"
mailinglist at eep.burdell.org
Tue Jan 4 00:05:33 GMT 2005
I've had a machine set up for some time now running samba 2.something
(or maybe it was upgraded to 3.0.something? It was up for a long time)
that recently had some hard drive problems and I had to reinstall. So
I did that, and used samba 3.0.10, with the same configuration that I
had used before (it worked well).
I can join the domain and log in using Windows 2000 with no problems,
but I'm not able to join the domain in Windows XP: when I try to join,
after I put in my root password (root was added as a samba account) I
get the error "The following error occurred attempting to join the
domain "UNIVERSE": The parameter is incorrect."
I can mount a shared directory on the winXP machine by running (for
example) "\\zarquon\working" and entering the samba user and password
that I would use to log in.
I've looked around online and verified the following:
- the samba user account was added using smbpasswd
- the samba root account was added using smbpasswd
- the machine was added with the proper $ at the end
- the basic setup appears to work because the win2k machine has no
trouble joining or logging in
- the registry entry in winXP (requiresignorseal) that used to be
required is still there (though I understand it's no longer a
- root:0:<big hash>:[U ]:LCT-41D1F740:
- epotter:1000:<big hash>:[U ]:LCT-414C9C10:
- frankie$:1200:<big hash>:[W ]:LCT-41C60E4F:
- ford$:1200:<big hash>:[W ]:LCT-41D1F728:
- netbios name = ZARQUON
- workgroup = UNIVERSE
- server string = Primary Domain Controller
- hosts allow = 192.168.10. 192.168.20.
- log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
- max log size = 1024
- security = user
- encrypt passwords = yes
- smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
- unix password sync = Yes
- passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
- passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
- include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%m
- socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=32768 SO_SNDBUF=32768
- interfaces = 192.168.10.0/24 192.168.20.0/24
- local master = yes
- domain master = yes
- preferred master = yes
- domain logons = yes
- wins support = yes
- dns proxy = no
- preserve case = yes
- short preserve case = yes
- default case = lower
- <homes, netlogon, shares, etc. follow>
/etc/samba/smb.conf.ford <these are all the same except for logon path>
- logon path = \\ZARQUON\profiles\%U\winxp
- path = /universe/profiles/%U/winxp
- browseable = no
- guest ok = no
- writeable = yes
- create mask = 0600
- directory mask = 0700
- profile acls = yes
- force user = %U
output of testparm:
- zarquon:/etc/samba# testparm
- Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
- Can't find include file /etc/samba/smb.conf.
- Processing section "[homes]"
- Processing section "[netlogon]"
- Processing section "[storage]"
- Processing section "[music]"
- Processing section "[working]"
- Processing section "[programs]"
- Loaded services file OK.
- Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC
- Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
Any hints? This one has me stumped.
More information about the samba