SUCCESS!!!! [Samba] Re: Authenticating PPTP users against Samba/LDAP - Patch doesn't seem to be working

Alex Brown alexjrb at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 3 19:23:53 GMT 2005

Robert Schetterer wrote:

> Hi Alex,
> write this ( check "your" paths to the files )
> plugin winbind.so
> ntlm_auth-helper "/usr/sbin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=localhost"
> in your /etc/ppp/options
> also check your winbind config , and your ips in  pptpd.conf  (they
> look a little strange to me )
> i recommend to test pptpd first with a entry to /etc/ppp/chap.secrets
> which is the default auth ( chap ) for pptpd , if this works
> try winbind plugin.
> At my tests i got the plugin started and the right pop up message in
> my win xp client, also in the logs everything seems to work right ,but
> i havent setup samba/winbind yet to test the funktion in a whole.
> I will post the results if i have it up and running
> Regards

WOW!!!  It works!!  You all are awesome!!!!  Andrew, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

I've got Poptop using Winbind to authenticate to my NT domain
controller.  It was something very little that I missed.  I had the
wrong path to ntlm_auth in my options.pptpd file.  Thank you so much
Robert for reminding me to check my paths.
I used a line similar to the line Andrew suggested . . .

ntlm_auth-helper "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=ntlm-server-1"
(Notice I had to change my path from /usr/local/bin/ntlm_auth)

Robert, I don't believe "localhost" is an allowable value for the
"helper-protocol" option.

This is what I saw when I checked the options:
[root at papcom ~]# ntlm_auth --helper-protocol --help
unknown helper protocol [--help]

Valid helper protools:

squid-2.4-basic
squid-2.5-basic
squid-2.5-ntlmssp
ntlmssp-client-1
gss-spnego
gss-spnego-client
ntlm-server-1
[root at papcom ~]#

I hope that helps.

Thanks again you all.  You've helped me get another step closer to my
goal.  This has been a great experience and I look forward to the coming
adventures.

Andrew, I really do want to be like you when I grow up.

Thanks!!