[Samba] samba v3 slow with 'security = server'

Anthony Iano-Fletcher Anthony.Iano-Fletcher at nih.gov
Mon Jan 3 18:37:44 GMT 2005

We were running samba v2.2.x with the 'security = server' option and
everything worked wonderfully.

We upgraded to samba 3.0.10 with the same configuration. Everything
still works but it's very very slow. Opening a file can take 15 to 30
seconds or more. I changed the security option to 'user' and everything
is fast again.  Clearly something has changed between 2.x.x and 3.x.x to
slow this down immensely.

Is there any way we can run with security set to server but cache the
results of the server conversation? Am I missing a new option that can
set?

Would 'security = Domain' help? or will it suffer from the same issue.

			Anthony.

--
Anthony R Iano-Fletcher
  Room 2033, Building 12A,        http://dcb.cit.nih.gov/~arif
  National Institutes of Health,  Anthony.Iano-Fletcher at nih.gov
  12A South Drive, Bethesda,      Phone: (+1) 301 402 1741.
  MD 20892-5624, USA.