[Samba] Troubles loging into Samba PDC

Jason Self jself at intertechdesign.net
Mon Jan 3 16:02:34 GMT 2005

Hello everybody,
I have been trying to set up a PDC in samba.  As I continue to make what
I think are advancements I am still nowhere near having things running.
My problem is as follows:

I have been in the past using Samba as a simple file server on our
Workgroup and decided that I would convert this server over to being a
PDC.  After configuring and reconfiguring the smb.conf I managed to get
things to a point that when I make computer name changes in the
WindowsXP system control panel to be a member of my newly created domain
it allows me to log in and connect as root.  However I can not seem to
get it then to allow any sort of user login to the Domain at all, not
even as root.  /var/log/messages tells me "unable to authenticate" or
something along those lines, I have added the machine and the user to
smbpasswd.  This is what I know to do so far and would greatly
appreciate any help offered.   I will include a copy of my smb.conf if
that is any help.

[global]
    dns proxy = no
    log level = 2
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    server string = Intertech Samba Server
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
    unix password sync = no
    workgroup = IntertechDomain
    wins support = yes
    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g staff /bin/false
    os level = 64
    preferred master = yes
    local master = yes
    domain master = yes
    domain logons = yes
    security = user
    domain admin group = @staff @root
    hosts allow = 192.168.,
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *New*password*%n\n*Please*retype*new*password*
%n\n*password*successfully*updated*
    logon path = \\%L\home\%U
    logon home = \\%L\home\%U\profile
    logon drive = H: