MySQL passdb module, and biting of more than you can chew (was: Re: [Samba] Help Me)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jan 2 07:51:50 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 15:07 -0200, Alexandre Melo wrote:
> Hi, I try to configure a PDC in FreeBSD with Samba using MySQL for
> database for users, groups, computers and other resources in
> domain like printers, sites...but without success.

Firstly, 'Help Me' doesn't tell me very much about your problem, but I
digress...

This very much sounds like trying to create the most complex solution
first.  I know, because I've been there, and done that.

I would not suggest the use of the experimental MySQL passdb backend
until you first understand the operation of a system using nss_ldap and
pdb_ldap, as described in the documentation.  (and handle the system
with just smbpasswd before that).  This way, you don't try and solve all
the problems at once, and realise that you do indeed need an nss_mysql
module to make this kind of thing go.

Furthermore, are you even running a version of FreeBSD that allows
arbitrary nss modules?

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical of 'use MySQL for everything', as I
instead use LDAP, which almost everything talks to without modification,
and which can (with a little pain) be made to back onto a real DB, or be
synchronised with one.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org