[Samba] Upgrading Samba Print Server

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jan 2 03:50:23 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 13:55 -0500, Collins, Kevin wrote:
> This weekend I'm planning on replacing my exisiting Print Server with shiny
> new hardware.  (YEA!!!)

Is there any need for shiny new hard disks?

> But I'm concerned about the 50+ users that I have connected to the 10
> printers this machine shares.  Is there anything I need to do to make this a
> quick/easy/painless process?  I know I'll have to re-create the printer
> definitions in the CUPS manager, which should be no problem.  But I'm more
> concerned about having to touch every workststation *after* the upgrade to
> reconnect to the printers.  I need to know whatever I need to avoid having
> to do that.
>
> Currently the server is running Red Hat Enterprise 3 + Samba 3.0.9 + CUPS
> and is a member server in my Samba+LDAP domain.  I'm going to be replacing
> it with Debian Sid + Samba 3.0.10 + CUPS.

I would suggest keeping your setup intact - either rsync your old
machine to the new disks, or keep the old disks.  This is the way to
ensure nothing changes.  But if you do wish to change OS, then just copy
all the config files (Samba, CUPS), the Samba TDBs, and keep the same
machine name.  It should work :-)

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org