[Samba] Migration script from smbpasswd to LDAP

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Sun Jan 2 03:35:17 GMT 2005

>i need a migration script from smbpasswd-file to a ldap database. I
>searched a lot in google in the archive, but found only hints for
>changing the perl scripts of padl migration scripts.

Did you search the archive for THIS group?  It has been answered many
times, I think once a couple days ago and at least once myself ;).
These all take for granted that you have a working LDAP tree for system
level auth, can sucessfully run an smbpasswd -a <username> command and
that the system works for LDAP based samba auth.

Look into the pdbedit command options, with the import and export
flags.  There is also a flag to specify where your source is coming
from, if not the 'default', for example, if you have your old smbpasswd
file in /home/me/stuffnottodelete/smbpasswd.  This will suck the data
out of the file and modify your posix user accounts in LDAP to include
samba attributes.  Sorry I can't tell you the exact syntax ATM, since I
am away from my servers.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322