[Samba] Networking problems - Fedora 3/samba/Win XP

Larry Weldon lweldon at weldoncomputers.com
Sat Jan 1 17:27:56 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 13:16 +0000, nad 9084 wrote:
> After pulling out most of my hair, someone told me of this mailing list. He
> suggested you may be able to help. Rather than describing my problem again
> (it goes on for a while, sorry). Could one of you brain surgeons look at the
> following link and try and shed some light. Thanks in advance:
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=270866&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Just previewing, you probably can't ping the XP machine because SP2
firewall is on, try pinging from XP<-->XP

For Samba to authenticate XP you must have encrypt passwords ON

You also must enable smb password file and run smbpasswd -a username

You have the Guest account commented out.

It appears you should throw away that book and visit the samba website.

Additionally you can run samba swat to learn a lot with moderate
configuration help...
http://localhost:901/

You need to make sure swat is installed.

Larry Weldon