[Samba] SAMBA in hybrid mode

Dan Willis dannowwillis at comcast.net
Sat Jan 1 17:10:40 GMT 2005

I think you may have been bitten by this change in behavior- I was. I
assume using LDAP would provide similar behavior to a Windows Domain
Controller.

http://info.ccone.at/INFO/Samba/upgrading-to-3.0.html
Changes in Behavior
The following issues are known changes in behavior between Samba-2.2 and
Samba-3 that may affect certain installations of Samba.
When operating as a member of a Windows domain, Samba-2.2 would map any
users authenticated by the remote DC to the "guest account" if a uid could
not be obtained via the getpwnam() call. Samba-3 rejects the connection as
NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE. There is no current work around to re-establish
the Samba-2.2 behavior.

I was providing guest printing on a NT-4 Domain member SAMBA server.  After
the upgrade from 2.28 to 3.010, I had to make the print server a
stand-alone machine again because guest printing was not working as desired
(see my ealier post below).