[Samba] Anyone Pls? Domain function levels, etc

Christopher Peter Welsh cpwe at deakin.edu.au
Sat Jan 1 10:24:18 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have resent this, as I have had no replies so far.

I'm gonna have to be putting a good argument to my ICT team against going to
2003 in 2003 server mode ( I think thats what they call the highest mode for
2003 server) to keep samba at our school. I like what windows 2003 has to
offer, but do not want to lock samba out forever.
I know samba will work at lower mode. And that's what I'm pushing.

Can people chip in with some arguments and advice.

What is the highest 2003 mode (forest and domain) that we can go to and still
have samba function as a member file server?

What are the advantages for a school with only 2 domains and no geographical
displacement in going to the highest 2003 server level (list of GPO
advantages?, etc). We have the money to upgrade to 2003 on all our 20
servers(20 win2000 server and 2 samba servers). But could save money by
consolidating and mixing samba and 2000.

Is there really better security in that higher 2003 mode? What in particular?

Will winbind (ADS and kerb mode) break? As we use it for squid auth, etc.

How long before SAMBA can work at the highest level with 2003?

I'm feeling that MS have provided some functional incentives to go with the
highest mode. Can someone suggest some ways to take the hype out this higher
level? I know from my reading, that once we make that jump, there is no
turning back

:-(

Chris