[Samba] Samba 3.0.11 port and install issue to solaris 8

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Feb 28 13:56:27 GMT 2005

> I have ported samba  3.0.11 to Solaris 8 because of the security warning
> for Samba 2.2.8a

Samba currently builds/runs just fine on Solaris, no need to *port* it. :-P

> but it will not start from inetd.  I have taken 3 weeks to find that it
> starts OK as a standalone daemon
> using a startup script  /etc/init.d/samba

Why on earth would you want to run from inetd?  I'm pretty confident in
saying that it wasn't designed to be run from the super-server.  That
being said, did you run both nmbd and smbd in the inetd.conf?

> #!/bin/sh
>
> # Samba startup
>

> case $1 in
>        'start')
>                echo "Starting smbd..."
>                /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd -D
>                echo "Starting nmbd..."
>                /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd -D
>                ;;
>        'stop')
>                echo "Stopping smbd and nmbd..."
>                /usr/bin/pkill -x -u 0 smbd
>                /usr/bin/pkill -x -u 0 nmbd
>                rm -f /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid
>                rm -f /usr/local/samba/var/locks/nmbd.pid
>                ;;
>        *)
>                echo "usage: smb {start|stop}"
>                ;;
> esac
>
> The accompanying web pages indicate that the daemons are in
> /usr/local/samba/bin which is incorrect.  They are in fact installed to
> /usr/local/samba/sbin.  I suspect unless it is standalone on solaris 8
> it gets thoroughly lost.  I also suspect it is going back into the
> source for some modules and if they are not readable by all then it will
> fail.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322