[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Samba] Won't Start Automatically]]

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Feb 28 13:52:27 GMT 2005

>Actually, my problem turns out to be even more basic and foolish than
>that.  I assumed that since the relevant Kill files were present in the
>ls listing, then the Start files would be, too.  Nope.  I had to make
>those soft links; when I did, everything worked properly.

Then perhaps you still need to read up on how the startup scripts work,
at least on Fedora.  The startup routine runs every link in the rcX.d
directory that has either an S or a K in the order determined by the
number contained in the name.  On entering a runlevel, if the link is a
KXXservice then it runs the service with the stop argument, if the link
is a SXXservice then it runs it with a start, the order is from low
numbers to high.  This procedure is reversed on  leaving a runlevel, the
S = stop, the K = start (I believe) and the numerical order goes from
high to low.  I need to read up on the docs myself since I cant tell you
if it does kills then starts or if it does all the numbers in order
regardless of the argument.  I believe it is the former though.

The fact that samba works for you is a wonderful coincidence.   By most
accounts, the default setup for samba is a K35/S65.  In your setup that
means that samba gets killed and then started, leaving you with a
running system.  If you had to change to another runlevel and expected
samba to be stopped you'd be in for a surprise.

This is exactly the reason that somebody made chkconfig, it keeps stuff
like this from happening.  It also follows the convention that when a
service is switched from stop to start and vice versa, the number given
to it is 100-<whatever the old number was>, which is why samba is
usually a K35/S65.