[Samba] profile not loading properly

Matthew Easton info at sublunar.com
Sun Feb 27 20:19:41 GMT 2005

On Friday 25 February 2005 15:11, abs pathak wrote:
> Hello,
> I installed samba3.0 on my debian machine to act as a PDC.  Everything
> seems to be working.  The only problem is that I get errors reading
> and writing back to the profile.  When I log in or log out, it gives
> me an error saying some file cannot be written.  When I check the
> profiles folder on the server it's always empty.  I changed the
> permissions on the folder and I still get the same error.  Would
> anyone happen to know what is going on? cheers
>
> abs

Is the file name something like <username>.pds?  In my experience this is a
permission problem or a directory doesn't exist.  To make it easier to help
you, provide the following information:

the exact error message you are getting
path and permissions to the profile directory
path and permissions on the home directory
the section of your smb.conf file that deals with the [Profiles] share

Another case where I've seen a file cannot be written is when samba has
trouble with a path or filename or permissions on a file in the local profile
and cannot write it up to the server on log out.  This is typically in the
browser cache or an email attachment-- so you probably haven't gotten to the
point of having an issue like this yet.

And finally, a profile will fail to synchronize if a necessary file or
resource on the server is in use-- this typically happens if you log out and
log back in repeatedly in a very short time period.  I think this is because
the windows computer doesn't fullly release the shares -- my error message in
this case is vague.  Powering down for 5 minutes will cure this.  But again,
it's probably not your issue here.