[Samba] WinXP not caching credentials

Juerd juerd at convolution.nl
Sun Feb 27 19:05:35 GMT 2005

Juerd skribis 2005-02-23 21:24 (+0100):
> I have three Windows XP (All SP2) machines that won't cache
> credentials with a Samba DC.  A Debian Sarge system with Samba 3.0.10
> is the domain controller. It has three users and three machine
> accounts.  The three users all are simple Unix users, with no mapping
> to Windows users.  We use DHCP (entirely different server) and DNS,
> but local IPs do not resolve.  The configuration files for Samba were
> copied from a system that has multiple workstations that correctly
> cache credentials.  Two of the three machinas are notebooks. They have
> to be usable off-line with the same profile they use on-line.  No PAM
> modifications were made. Passwords are still manually synchronised
> between smbpasswd and passwd.  All machines synchronise with the same
> NTP server.  On-line logins work.
> What can be done to get the workstations to cache credentials, so users
> can login without needing to have a domain controller?
> The error message says that the user cannot be logged on because the
> domain controller is unavailable.

Problem solved. Still have no idea what was wrong, but removing
passdb.tdb entirely fixed it. I tried removing individual user and
machine accounts before, to no avail.

Possibly something Debian generates is wrong, as it generated the
original passdb.tdb.

Anyway, "rm passdb.tdb" appears to be all that is needed...

Juerd