[Samba] Building two redundant servers without clustering

Ilia Chipitsine ilia at paramon.ru
Sun Feb 27 14:45:28 GMT 2005

>>> Thanks a lot,
>>> Malte M?ller
>>> BBS1 Emden
>>>
>>> P.S.: My current plans for hardware are two servers, each made up of:
>>> ASUS A8N-SLI plus 2 SATA (WD or Seagate) drives as RAID0 or JBOD.
>>

>> SATA sucks. choose SCSI.
>>
>> anyway You are going to pay more for hardware, so why to choose SATA ?
>
> Why should SATA suck? Several comanies build RAIDs with ATA or SATA drives
> (e.g. Transtec). Anyway, I get three years warranty and some drives are said
> to hold that promise. A full fledged server with redundant power-supplies and
> RAID-5 SCSI costs more than 2.5k Euro. A cheap one less than 1k. With PCIe it
> should be possible to get the necessary I/O bandwidth.

if You want to save money, no problem, You can choose either IDE or SATA
drives, but there's no point of choosing such drives when perfomance is a
battleneck. For instance, instead of buying "full pledged" server, You can
buy

1. SCSI controller itself (about 150 euro)
2. number of SCSI drives (SCSI-320 72G 15K rpm are about 300 euro each)

hardware RAID is not neccessary, software RAID are good as well. It will
not cost that much.