[Samba] Printing to raw cups queue from Windows XP

Steve Cohen scohen at javactivity.org
Sat Feb 26 01:15:49 GMT 2005

I have a little home network that uses an Epson C82 served out via Samba
from an RH9 Linux box.  When I set this up a year ago, the only way I
could get printing to work was through a raw Cups queue.  (Well,
actually, I never tried anything but CUPS).  It all worked well enough,
except for an annoyingly long delay between the issuing of the print
command and the start of output to the printer, probably around a minute
for even the smallest document.  All the windows boxes accessing the
printer were WinXP.

I'd more or less gotten used to this, until I brought a Win2K laptop
home from work and tried to print to my network through it.  After a
long struggle, I finally found (with the help of this list) the set of
Samba options needed to avoid access denied errors.

But here's the rub.  When I print from the laptop (through the same raw
queue the other boxes use) there is no delay at all in the printer
output!  Can anyone explain why raw queue printing would be slow on my
XP boxes (connected via a wired network) and fast on my Win2K box
(connected through wireless router)?