[Samba] Audit Trail/Logging For Network Logons and Logoffs

Gene Cooper gcooper at SonoraComm.COM
Fri Feb 25 19:51:21 GMT 2005

Hi Folks,

I have searched the archives and the web for this issue, but I haven't found
an answer.

I need to be able to log or audit the network access of our network users.
This information needs to be used in conjuction with a time and attendance
punch clock.

I have seen much discussion of using preexec and postexec for obtaining a
network access log.  However, my testing has shown this as unreliable.  It
seems Windows logs in and logs out at (nearly) random and the collected
information seems useless as I haven't discovered a useful way to collect or
parse the collected information.  I have tested on various shares as well.

Surely this has been an issue for many?  If so, how have you resolved this
problem? Is the solution dependent on a particular version of Samba?

Thanks to all contributors for a truly fine and useful software.

Thanks in advance for all responses.