[Samba] Debugging Privilege and Samba 3.0.11

Thierry Thierry at echotech.ch
Fri Feb 25 18:25:14 GMT 2005

Hello,

I am striving to give out globally to our developers a way to debug
their C++ applications, but I do not want to give them Admin rights on
the individual workstations.

I thought I found the light when reading on MSDN that to debug users
need to be members of the "Debugger Users" group (according to VS.Net).
This group seems to be created with a random SID when installing VS.Net
on the computer.
I created the group on the Samba domain , even removed the Local group
on the computer where VS was installed, but any attempt to debug with a
"Domain User" account is moot : ends up with "permission refused" when I
want to attach to a process.

Now I think that maybe the real right to debug a process is bound to the
SeDebugPrivilege privilege on the Domain.
Unfortunately attempts to perform
net rpc rights grant 'LAB\Debugger Users' SeDebugPrivilege
ends up with NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_PRIVILEGE .

I even tried to manually add the "Debugger Users" group to the Local
Security Policy of the computer to the "Debug" rights , but it doesn't
work either.

Can anybody shed some light on the way I can reach my simple goal : give
developers a way to debug, without giving away "Domain Admin" rights to
them?

(Yes, I know, this security is not perfect, but hey, I did not invent
the Windows security model either...)

Thank you for any help!

Cheers
Thierry