[Samba] duplicated name

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Fri Feb 25 09:49:31 GMT 2005

Hi,
in my network I had two samba server, one playing with authentication and one
as guest-like disk share. In the pdc, I defined a few alias thus the machine
was responding with different names. For an error, I didn't notice that a few
alias matches a few group names used by the clients. Now, the guest-like
machine has been dismissed, thus the other one has been assigned to its IP.
Since that, clients are protesting saying that there's a duplicated name on
the network, and I found this is a problem due to the fact that the samba
server is responding with the same netbios name of a group. My question is,
since the machine is running from a while, why I didn't discovered this
before?

Luca
--
Luca Ferrari,