[Samba] Bringing a laptop to a Samba Network

Steve Cohen scohen at javactivity.org
Fri Feb 25 03:20:12 GMT 2005

Steve Cohen wrote:

OK, let me ask this question another way, short and simple:

In a security=SHARE samba network, is there any way for a computer
outside the workgroup to connect to and use (not talking about "see") a
printer shared by samba on that network?

I've been reading logs, manpages, books, nothing I've seen deals with
that situation.  This is a simple home network to which I want to
occasionally bring a company-owned laptop.

Please don't answer with questions about drivers, etc.  A driver has
been installed on the outside computer (a Windows 2K laptop owned by my
employer).  I have administrative rights on that laptop.

The error is "Access Denied".  How can Samba be configured to get around
this given that security=SHARE is required?

I just can't believe this is that hard.  What am I missing?