[Samba] SAMBA+LDAP

Roger Morris roger.in.eugene at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 23:27:48 GMT 2005

Yep, I know there's documentation out there.
I don't want to integrate into AD, I have a SAMBA server running the
latest and greatest that comes with Redhat AS4 (Samba 3.0.10-1.4E).
All I want to do is to be able to authenticate against an existing
LDAP server.  The LDAP server is running iPlanet (or whatever it's
called this week), on a solaris box.  I am able to authenticate via
LDAP for SSH.
I would have figured it should be as straightforward as putting the
LDAP specific settings in the smb.conf.  I'm obviously mistaken.
Am I going to have to get the LDAP admin to add the include for
samba.schema in the LDAP server configs?
Are there any docs for setting up a new SAMBA box for authenticating
against an existing LDAP server?  if yes, Where?

with the basic SAMBA setup, I'm able to use smbclient -L 'servername'
and see the shares that are setup.
Thanks.
Roger