[Samba] samba 3 performance

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 24 19:35:58 GMT 2005

Does anyone succesfully get more than 60MB/sec sequential throughput,
WITHOUT jumbo frames, with the following configuration:

samba 3 on RedHat linux server
windows XP Pro workstations
GigE NIC's and GigE switches

Assuming all the disks/buses on the server and client ends are capable of
those speeds. We have that exact setup, and we only get 30MB/sec maximum
sequential throughput. In fact our servers and clients disk benchmark at
more than 100MB/sec seq. throughput, and our netperf is >100MB/sec as
well, but we still only get 30MB/sec when going through samba.

Also, we actually do not manage our network switches, and we are told the
switches do not support jumbo frames, so changing the MTU on the client
NIC's and samba get's us nowhere because the switches won't do it anyway.

Mostly I'm just trying to find out if anyone get's decent GigE network
throughput through samba 3. I want to rule out that samba is the
bottleneck.

Thanks,

Alex