[Samba] Printing only works sometimes

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Feb 24 15:17:30 GMT 2005

Joseph Carri wrote:

| I have been trying to use Samba 2.2.6 to print from
| two SCO Openserver 5.0.7 servers (VDOHOM & VDOHOM2, IP
| My problem is this.  Some of the time, I can print
| from either Unix server without any problems at all.
| However, about half the time, lpstat claims the
| document has been printed, but nothing in fact is
| printed.  The Win 2003 servers do not show any queued
| documents.

Try smbclient from 3.0.11.  2.2.x is EOL (kind of like SCO :) )

| When a document prints correctly the arguments (passed
| by lp -d jumbo -ob filename) to smbrpint.sysv
| (redirected to a log file) are:
|
| Arguments = jumbo-37777 root  1  b
| /SPARE/APPLICATION/LOCATIONS/invt/mkt/x
|
| And the smbclient message (I have redirected output to
| a log file) is:
|
| added interface ip=192.168.1.122 bcast=192.168.1.255
| nmask=255.255.255.0
| Domain=[DOMAIN] OS=[Windows Server 2003 3790]
| Server=[Windows Server 2003 5.2]
| smb: \> CR/LF<->LF and print text translation now on
| smb: \> putting file - as stdin-27268 (14.1 kb/s)
| (average 14.1 kb/s)
|

| When a document fails to print, smbclient produces the
| arguments passed to smbprint.sysv are:
|
| Arguments = jumbo-38110 root  1  b
| /SPARE/APPLICATION/LOCATIONS/invt/mkt/1S20050213455463
|
| Output from smbclient:
|
| added interface ip=192.168.1.122 bcast=192.168.1.255
| nmask=255.255.255.0
| session setup failed: Call timed out: server did not
| respond after 20000 milliseconds

Look at network traces.  The windows server is not responding
apparently.  Also try saving some of the failed spooled jobs
and print them manually.

You might also look at the cups smbspool  utility in 3.0 or
IPP printing in windows 2000.

| 3.	Would it help if I increase the timeout period for
| setting up NETBIOS Sessions, how can I do this?

You can try.  However, I'd be more interested in why the
windows server hangs the session.

Bottom line is that there is really nothing to point at finger
at smbclient here.  No without more information at least.
But 2 things should probably happen before anyone digs in deeper.
(a) try smbclient from Samba 3.0 and try to reproduce the error
on a non-SCO box.

cheers, jerry