[Samba] Bringing a laptop to a Samba Network

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 24 06:54:25 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 22:22 -0600, Steve Cohen wrote:
> Steve Cohen wrote:
> > Craig White wrote:
> >
> >  > On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 23:41 -0600, Steve Cohen wrote:
> >  >
> >  >> Steve Cohen wrote:
> >  >>
> >  >>> I have a little home network, with a wireless router.  The main box
> > on the ntwk runs RedHat 9.0 and Samba 2.2.7a.
> >  >>>
> >  >>> I have a Win2K laptop provided to me by my employer with all the
> > typical corporate security constraints.
> >  >>>
> >  >>> I can take the laptop home and access the internet from it through
> > the laptops secondary wireless router card and my wireless router.  What
> > I'd like to be able to do beyond that is print documents from the laptop
> > to my home printer.  It won't work.  The laptop can see the printer, but
> > Samba is not letting it access the printer.  The laptop is within the
> > corporate domain of my employer.  You can't sign on otherwise.  It's not
> > in Samba's workgroup, which seems to be assumed by many of the docs I've
> > read.  (In a catastrophically comic attempt to do this, I tried changing
> > the laptop's Network identification to use the Samba workgroup.  Not
> > only didn't this work, but I couldn't change it back, and once I was
> > logged off, couldn't log back on.  I had to get the work IT guys to
> > reconfigure it back to the corporate domain.)
> >  >>>
> >  >>> So, is there a way in Samba to give access to a computer outside
> > its workgroup?  What might that be?  A quick perusal of the docs that
> > come with SWAT didn't suggest anything promising.
> >  >>>
> >  >>>
> >  >>>
> >  >>>
> >  >>
> >  >> One more detail of my setup: security = SHARE
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > ----
> >  > I would expect that you could access 'My Network Places' -> View Entire
> >  > Network -> Microsoft Windows Networking -> NAME_OF_HOME_WORKGROUP ->
> >  > Samba_Server and see the printer share and then double click to install
> >  > and set up.
> >

> > I see only the corporate network when I do this.  It is empty, unless I
> > enter the corporate VPN, at which point I see all the computers in the
> > corporate network that I would see if at work but not my local workgroup.
> >
> >  > You probably will need to install printer driver for your
> >  > home printer. Likely you aren't going to have sufficient privileges to
> >  > add a printer and install a printer driver (you probably wouldn't if I
> >  > was admin of your network anyway)
> >

> > I have sufficient privileges for installing the driver.  In fact, I have
> > gotten as far as installing this as a printer on the laptop.
> >
> >  >
> >  > Privileges though wouldn't prevent you from accessing your home
> [...]
----
whether inline or attachment - I have little inclination to read through
a voluminous log. You really need to peruse the logs, figure out the
questions you have after reading them and maybe a few lines from them.

Likewise, your comments and questions seem to be ranging...

If the printer driver is installed or can be installed...then really
your only problem is privileges - which would somewhat make sense from
the 'Access Denied - unable to print' message but I recall that was
pretty standard on 2.2.x if the user wasn't a listed 'printer admin'

Generally, you can add a printer using the wizard and if you can't
browse the network at home (which apparently you can't), you can either
put in an entry in lmhosts file on the Windows machine
(c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts) or simply refer to it by ip
address instead of name - where it asks you...

\\192.168.0.10\NAME_OF_PRINTER_SHARE

you should be able to test these things from command line on Windows...

net view \\192.168.0.10
PASSWORD_OF_VALID_SMB_USERNAME /USER:VALID_SMB_USER

all one line - substitute the ip address of your samba server

net use /?

will list various options

Craig