[Samba] pdbedit -Lw reports "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" for password

Marshall Herington mherington at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 18:57:59 GMT 2005

I've searched google and the samba archives to no avail (appologies if
I've missed something), so I will ask the community directly:

I am trying to convert a fully populated smbpasswd file to the tdbsam backend:

# pdbedit -i smbpasswd:./smbpasswd -e tdbsam:./passdb.tdb

This seems to work, on the surface, but upon inspection I find that

# pdbedit -Lw username

username:1234:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[DU
    ]:LCT-00000000:

or somesuch.  username does exist in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, but
is not allowed shell access.

So, two problems;  the NT/samba passwords are not being migrated, and
the accounts are all being set to disabled (user and workstation
accounts).   This is on a RedHat 3.0ES running samba 3.0.9-1.3E.2.
I've also built and installed in /usr/local/samba the very latest
3.0.11.  Both versions (using correct absolute paths to the binaries)
produce the same result.  Any insight on what is happening or what I
might be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Marshall

My smb.conf contains the following:

[global]
netbios name = SERVER
workgroup = HQ
server string = HQ File Server
wins server = 192.168.1.253
os level = 40
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
domain logons = yes
local master = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
security = user
log level = 3
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 150
logon path =
logon home =
logon drive = T:
logon script = scripts\logon.bat
printing = cups
printcap = cups
show add printer wizard = Yes
printer admin = root
passdb backend = tdbsam, smbpasswd
username map = /etc/smbusers
map acl inherit = yes
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*Password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
*Passwd*successfully*
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /svrhome/user/%u -m %u
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
; add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
add group script = /etc/samba/smbgrpadd.sh %g
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null -g 515 -M %u
guest account = nobody
admin users = root