[Samba] Adding XP clients to samba domain - samba admin password prob?

Nick Roberts nick_roberts5 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 23 17:44:20 GMT 2005

Hi all,

Having a few problems setting up samba as a PDC on a small windows network
(4 xp pro clients, 2x sp1, 2x sp2).

All windows machines can access the samba shares fine, but when I try to add
a user to the domain, it prompts for a username and password, and then gives
the error;

'The following error occurred attempting to join the domain 'nicrosoft'. The
specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted'

I guess the domain exists ok as it’s prompting for a password to add the
client, the only thing I can think of could be some problem with the admin
authentication? Although I have added machine accounts, and created the
smbusers file for root = administrator. I’ve also changed windows registry
settings (SignorSeal etc) however, as I’m using Samba 3, this shouldn’t
really apply?

I’ve also read somewhere that user accounts and machines accounts of the
same name can cause some problems?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Here are the contents of the smb.conf file...

[global]
   workgroup = NICROSOFT
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   map to guest = Bad User
   #include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
   logon path =
   logon home =
   logon drive =
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   passdb backend = smbpasswd
   server string = Samba Server
   netbios name = KING
   add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -g 1001 -d /dev/null/ -s
/bin/false -M %u
   domain master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   local master = yes
   preferred master = True
   os level = 65
   #ldap admin dn = ou=ldapconfig,dc=example,dc=com
   #ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
   wins server = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
   case sensitive = no

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   valid users = %S
   browseable = no
   read only = No
   inherit acls = Yes
   guest ok = no
   printable = no
[profiles]
   comment = Network Profiles Service
   path = %H
   read only = No
   store dos attributes = Yes
   create mask = 0600
   directory mask = 0700
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = no
   printable = no
[users]
   comment = All users
   path = /home
   read only = No
   inherit acls = Yes
   veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = no
   printable = no
[groups]