[Samba] Bringing a laptop to a Samba Network

Steve Cohen scohen at javactivity.org
Wed Feb 23 05:30:31 GMT 2005

I have a little home network, with a wireless router.  The main box on
the ntwk runs RedHat 9.0 and Samba 2.2.7a.

I have a Win2K laptop provided to me by my employer with all the typical
corporate security constraints.

I can take the laptop home and access the internet from it through the
laptops secondary wireless router card and my wireless router.  What I'd
like to be able to do beyond that is print documents from the laptop to
my home printer.  It won't work.  The laptop can see the printer, but
Samba is not letting it access the printer.  The laptop is within the
corporate domain of my employer.  You can't sign on otherwise.  It's not
in Samba's workgroup, which seems to be assumed by many of the docs I've
read.  (In a catastrophically comic attempt to do this, I tried changing
the laptop's Network identification to use the Samba workgroup.  Not
only didn't this work, but I couldn't change it back, and once I was
logged off, couldn't log back on.  I had to get the work IT guys to
reconfigure it back to the corporate domain.)

So, is there a way in Samba to give access to a computer outside its
workgroup?  What might that be?  A quick perusal of the docs that come
with SWAT didn't suggest anything promising.