[Samba] High CPU utilization for smbd on AIX

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Feb 22 18:50:31 GMT 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 10:41:48AM -0600, Jeff Schoby wrote:

> Extracted, compiled, and installed form samba-latest tarball source.
>
> We have an application running on a windows 2000 server that mapps a
> drive to HEATHER.  This application will periodically poll the mapped
> drive for files (*.sql - small text files with an MSSQL query in them),
> read them, execute the query to an MSSQL server and then delete the
> file.  This directory can have anywhere from 0-30,000 files in it at any
> given time.  Whenever the process on the windows 2000 server is
> accessing the samba drive the smbd process servicing it pretty much eats
> up the cpu on the samba server.  The process on the win2k server goes
> through the files on the samba drive very slowly no matter how many
> files are in it.
>
> Any ideas/suggestions?

Ok - for a directory with 30,000 files in it you need to have the
latest svn source for Samba 3.0 (this fix isn't in 3.0.11 I'm afraid
as it was deemed too big a change at too late a stage) and to follow
the advice I gave on the list about how to set up a share to efficiently
cope with large directories. Someone from IBM is happily using this
for < 100,000 file directories, so I'm comfortable that it works.

Jeremy.