[Samba] Samba 3.0.11 smbd hangs

olly oliver.wickham at genetix.com
Tue Feb 22 10:36:33 GMT 2005

Hi Guys,

I have experienced an issue when the smbd stops responding, and after cannot
kill the process, using SIGTERM or SIGKILL. A reboot cured the problem. I
had the same problem once again a couple of days later. I realised that both
times I had changed my smb.conf file directly, using vi, and shortly before
the hang occured. The changes to the file were very minor, and the two were
different options. Nothing appeared in the log, but my logging level is very
low. Both times a reboot cured the problem.

Now here is my problem - the version of samba was tested before going live,
but the problem was not picked ip, but now it is in a production
environment, which I cannot disrupt until the last person goes home. I guess
I what I am asking is what can you guys suggest I try in the small window i
have to test it, to gather enough information for you to diagnose where the
problem lies, if indeed it is related to the modified smd.conf. I will turn
the logging level up to 10, but will have to stop samba first, so hopefully
editing the smb.conf shouldn't cause a problem then.

The server is a dual Zeon with Suse 9.0 kernel 2.4.21-273-smp4g with yast
updates and samba 3.0.11.

BTW, what is the actually policy for samba to watch for config updates? Is
there a polling interval of sorts?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Olly