[Samba] How Can I Increase Session Setup Timeout Period - Help!!

Joseph Carri joseph_carri at excite.com
Tue Feb 22 05:01:45 GMT 2005

I posted the message below, some time ago, and haven't got any suggestions
yet.  I would be most grateful if anyone could tell me how I can increase the
timeout period for setting up NETBIOS Sessions for smbclient, as this would
perhaps solve the problem. By the way, there is no problem when printing from
any Windows machine.

I have been trying to use Samba 2.2.6 to permit printing from two SCO
Openserver 5.0.7 servers (VDOHOM & VDOHOM2) on the WAN consisting of networks
192.168.1.0, 192.168.11.0 & 192.168.21.0, interconnected by ISDN leased lines
using CISCO 805 routers.  The network has been up and running for months and
there are no communications problems. Users have been runing various Oracle
applications on Win2K servers, connecting to the internet through another
Win2k server and a firewall, and connecting to the Unix servers with Telnet.

I installed and configured Samba to print to printers attached to the WIN 2003
Servers JUMBOSRV1 & MSTSVR on 192.168.11.200 & 192.168.21.200 respectively,
using smbprint.sysv.  All Samba parameters are at default value. The WIN 2000
Server (W2k-SVR, 192.168.1.1) is the PDC & WINS Server for the entire domain,
consisting of all three LANS.  Printing from any Windows workstation to any of
teh printers functions correctly.

I have created a user called samba on the two Openserver machines as well as
on the Windows Domain.  The user was added with with useradd & smbpasswd.  I
do not have any problem accessing or browsing test shares on the UNIX machines.

I am currently trying to set up the printing from the UNIX servers to the WIN
2003 Server jumbosvr1.  I intend to set up a similar print facility on mstsvr
after this.

My problem is this.  Some of the time, I can print from either Unix server
without any problems at all.  However, about half the time, lpstat claims the
document has been printed, but nothing in fact is printed.  The Win 2003
servers do not show any queued documents.

When a document prints correctly the arguments (passed by lp -d jumbo -ob
filename) to smbrpint.sysv (redirected to a log file) are:

Arguments = jumbo-37777 root  1  b /SPARE/APPLICATION/LOCATIONS/invt/mkt/x

And the smbclient message (I have redirected output to a log file) is:

added interface ip=192.168.1.122 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Domain=[DOMAIN] OS=[Windows Server 2003 3790] Server=[Windows Server 2003 5.2]
smb: \> CR/LF<->LF and print text translation now on
smb: \> putting file - as stdin-27268 (14.1 kb/s) (average 14.1 kb/s)

When a document fails to print, smbclient produces the arguments passed to
smbprint.sysv are:

Arguments = jumbo-38110 root  1
b /SPARE/APPLICATION/LOCATIONS/invt/mkt/1S20050213455463

Output from smbclient:

added interface ip=192.168.1.122 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session setup failed: Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000
milliseconds

My reasoning so far is this:

1.	Since I can print half the time, there is nothing wrong with the
networking or name resolution.

2.	Since I can print some of the time SMB printing is set up correctly.

What could cause the session setup to fail sometimes?  Can you suggest
possible causes and remedies please?  Will my increasing the time out period
help? How can I do this?

Tks & Rgds,

Joseph Carri