[Samba] WinXP Access Denied to Public Folder - Access Granted by IP only

Alex Barham alex at protexionproducts.com
Mon Feb 21 17:39:52 GMT 2005

I am receiving a \\fs1\Public <file:///\\fs1\Public>  not accessible...
Access is denied error
message. If I log on as Administrator I have access to the file shares
but this particular user is denied access. All other users/computers
are fine. I took the computer off the domain, renamed the computer and
changed the user's password but I still had access denied errors. I
looked at the log for the user's computer:

lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(978)
getpeername failed. Error was transport endpoint is not connected.

lib/util_sock.c:write_socket_data(413)
write_socket_data: write failure Error = Connection reset by peer

lib/util_sock.c:write_socket(438)
write socket: Error writing 4 bytes to socket 22: ERRNO = Connection reset
by peer

lib/util_sock.c:send_smb(630)
Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1 (connection reset by peer)

smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(619)
robnevin (192.64.80.88) connect to service Public initially as user
PROTEXIONPRODUC+rnevin (uid=10047, gid=10000) (pid 18829)

I ran smbstatus -v -u=rnevin and got:

PID        username        group                    machine
18829    rnevin            Domain Users        robnevin
opened /var/lock/samba/connections.tdb

Service            pid            machine            Connected at
Public            18829        robnevin            February 4, 2005

The odd thing is that I couldn't connect on February 3rd yet it looks like
it reset on February 4th. If I browse the network and try to access the
Public share, I will get an access denied. However, if I open Windows
Explorer and
type in the IP address of the server and a path to a subdirectory I can get
access. The machine is running Windows XP Pro, the samba version is 3.0.5
and the domain controller is Windows 2000 server. It is not a time skew as
the computer is only a few seconds out from the server. I don't know what
else could cause this and I am hoping someone has an answer. Thanks

Alex Barham