[Samba] smbclient doesn't get browse list from XP master browser

Paul Galbraith paul at paulgalbraith.net
Mon Feb 21 04:06:32 GMT 2005

I've spent hours searching the archives and online documentation, but
still haven't been able to find the answer to my browse problem; I hope
someone here can help.  I'm trying to get smbclient to show the browse
list from a windows xp machine that's the master browser on my subnet.

I have a very simple home network (single subnet).  My workgroup is
'arda'.  My windows xp machine is 'a7v333' and has been elected as the
master browser (exactly as I want).  From my linux machine, I use
nmblookup like this:

	nmblookup -M -S arda

and I get this result, showing my XP machine as the master browser:

	querying arda on 192.168.3.255
	192.168.3.100 arda<1d>
	Looking up status of 192.168.3.100

         A7V333          <00> -         B <ACTIVE>
         ARDA            <00> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
         A7V333          <20> -         B <ACTIVE>
         ARDA            <1e> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
         ARDA            <1d> -         B <ACTIVE>
         ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>

         MAC Address = 00-04-76-E5-A2-EB

then I run smbclient (3.0.10):

	smbclient -N -L a7v333

and this is the result:

	Domain=[A7V333] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

         Sharename       Type      Comment
         ---------       ----      -------
         IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
         print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
         SharedDocs      Disk
         software        Disk
         Printer         Printer   hp photosmart P1100 series

	Domain=[A7V333] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

         Server               Comment

         Workgroup            Master

Another windows machine on the subnet can browse through "network
neighbourhood", so I'm surprised that smbclient doesn't get the browse
list.  Does anyone know why this could be?

Also, I'm surprised to see the computer name showing up where the domain
(workgroup?) should be shown.  (The workgroup / computer name are
correctly configured as "arda" / "a7v333".)

Paul