[Samba] Re: Warning in logs: gid of user does not exist

Renato Salles siteforum at rsnetservices.com.br
Sun Feb 20 01:49:10 GMT 2005

Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
> I've setup a FreeBSD 4.x machine with Samba 2.x and and OpenLDAP backend.
> I recently upgraded to Samba 3.0.10 and put "passdb
> backend=ldapsam_compat" in smb.conf.
>
> Now, everythings seems to work all right, but I see a lot of this
> entries in the logs:
>
> Feb 17 19:42:27 xxxxx smbd[44170]:   get_alias_user_groups: gid of user
> yyyyyyy
> doesn't exist. Check your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files
>
> This happens always with yyyyyy ever changing and being either an user
> or machine account.
>
> I can't get to understand the reasons of this: /etc/passwd and
> /etc/group are correct.
>
> In OpenLDAP I only have user/machine accounts, not groups.
>
> I tried "net group [add]" but it does nothing. Also "net groupmap list"
> shows no entries, which I don't think is correct.
>
> I've read all the howto and googled a lot, but found no answer.
> Any hint?
>
>  bye & Thanks
>     av.
Well, the same as here. Just for ONE user, the "gid of user doesn't
exist" error remains. This user is part of /etc/passwd, /etc/group, and
member of the "Advanced Users" group (or whaterver it's called in
English) and it was mapped at least twice with net groupmap add, and
smbpasswd {-a -e} $USER.
This error is driving him crazy 'cause he can't logoff from that host in
no less than 15 minutes!

TIA,

RSalles