[Samba] Samba & disk access.

Peter L dvdmonster at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 19 23:16:32 GMT 2005

Is there a way to make samba cache the directorys so disk access to the
shared dirs is not needed on login in and dir browsing?

I'm using Samba to share files on some read only mounted NTFS drives. I use
hdparm to spin the disks down, because the files are not used often. But
ever time the client maps the drives thru Samba they spin up. The linux
filesystem has it in cache, so viewing the dir inside linux dont spin them
up. Samba must do something different to the shares, and there is really no
reason to check for locks and so on, because the NTFS are mounted read only
and no one can write to them.

Thanks in advance!