[Samba] Re: Howto delete printer driver for only one architecture?

Christoph Peus cp at peus.net
Fri Feb 18 20:32:41 GMT 2005

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> |> Use a windows 200 or later client.  Browse to the
> |> server's 'printers and faxes' folder.
> |>
> |> Now File -> Server properties and got to the driver
> |> tab.  You can select the specific driver and architectures
> |> there.
> |
> | Thanks for your quick reply, but it doesn't solve
> | the problem for me, because the "add" and "delete"
> | buttons are grayed out (not usable) in
> | this context, though I logged in with admin rigths. (I hope so)
>
> If they are greyed out, you don't have admin rights.  You have to
> defined the 'printer admin' option in [global] to get things to work
> well.  And I realize that this is kind of a documentation bug.
> Or you can use the SePrintOperatorPrivilege in Samba 3.0.11

I fear that I have reported success a little bit to hastily, because I
accidentlly tested your solution with a printer driver which was not in use
by any printer at this time. This indeed worked fine, but when I try to
delete a driver which is still associated to a printer, Windows is
complaining that the driver is in use and therefore cannot be deleted.

The same problem with rpcclient:

lunkwill root # rpcclient localhost -U ntroot -c 'deldriverex mathe9102
"Windows NT x86" 2'
Password:
Failed to remove driver mathe9102 for arch [Windows NT x86] (version: 2):
WERR_PRINTER_DRIVER_IN_USE
result was WERR_UNKNOWN_PRINTER_DRIVER

Samba (3.0.11) seems to behave different here than a "real" Windows printer
server: using Windows you can delete as many different architecture
specific drivers as you like, even when they are associated to an existing
printer - as long as there's at least one architecture's driver left for
the printer. This concept makes perfect sense to me.
With samba it seems that all architecture's drivers are "in use" as long as
they are associated to a printer and therefore cannot be deleted as long as
the printer exists.

Or do I get something wrong here?

Christoph