[Samba] smbmount problem

Victor Warner vwarner at waitrose.com
Fri Feb 18 19:38:18 GMT 2005

I wish to mount a Windows network share in Linux (Windows running WinXP)

I can successfully connect to the Windows network share with smbclient:
smbclient //andyson01/clientfiles -U victor%password

But when I try to mount this share with the following:
smbmount //andyson01/clientfiles /home/victor/client -o username=victor
password=password I get the following error messages:

(the directory "client" exists before trying the smbmount command)

"cli_negprot: SMB signing is mandatory and we have disabled it.
2172: protocol negotiation failed
SMB connection failed"

I can use the smbmount for shared directories on another Windows 98 machine.

I am new to Linux, and would appreciate any help.

Victor Warner