[Samba] fast reads, slow writes

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Fri Feb 18 15:04:11 GMT 2005

Hi Karel,
as i cant see your smb.conf cause attachs are killed on the list
this way i cant help more ....
do you any antivirus ( clamd ...) on the server? this slows down
in some cases, have you tried to use another non gb nic?
do you use ext3, reiser acl mounted?
what are your logs telling, have you done a tcp dump?
did you ask on the suse list for known problems with that kernel?
Regards

Karel Rericha schrieb:
| Thanks for fast reply, but alas it didn't help.
|
| There is even STRANGE behaviour: When I copy big file to server, speed
| is around 12MB/s,
| but if I start another copying to server from different machine, speed
| of copying goes significantly
| up on both machines. What the hell ?
|
| Robert Schetterer napsal(a):
|
| Hi Karel,
| upgrade samba
| ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/samba/3.0/x86_64/
|

|> upgraded, didn't help
|
| as well there a perfomance issues known to the webclient service
| in win xp , so just stop it.
|

|> disabled, didn't help
|
| slow down logging at samba , try set sendfile parameter to no,
|

|> log level is 1, just info of connections; 0 didn't help
|
| read
| http://info.ccone.at/INFO/Samba/speed.html
|

|> tested all hints,  no  impact on performace at all
|
| check your nic ,switching, firewalling ( if exist )
|

|> tested two gigabit switches, two nics
|
| try settings like this
| [bigshare]
| ~         path = /home/jeremy/tmp/manyfilesdir
| ~         read only = no
| ~      case sensitive = True
| ~         default case = upper
| ~         preserve case = no
| ~         short preserve case = no
|

|> tried, no success
|
| Best Regards
| Robert
|
| Karel Rericha schrieb:
| | We have two SUSE SLES 9.0 x86-64 servers on gigabit network, one with
| | RAID1 and samba 3.0.4,
| | and one with RAID10 upgraded to samba 3.0.9. Both have the same
| problem:
| | when you copy from
| | server to client, speeds are on big files about 40MB/s for RAID1 and
| | about 60MB/s for RAID10.
| | But when you copy to server, speed are about 8MB/s. I have set up ftp
| | servers on them just to try
| | ftp protocol upload, and  it is happy full speed both directions.
| |
| | After few hours of googling, I found "security = share" hint, which
| | didn't help, and after little more
| | time "use sendfile  =  yes" hint, which helped little bit, speeds are
| | now 10-12MB/s, but still not
| | acceptable.
| |
| | We don't intend to use samba servers as PDC, but just only as workgroup
| | NAS.
| |
| | Original smb.conf is attached (before security and sendfile tweaking).
| |
| | One more question: does anybody know good utility to test speed of
| | remote volumes ?
| |
| |
| |