[Samba] fast reads, slow writes

Karel Rericha karel at maxent.cz
Fri Feb 18 14:55:35 GMT 2005

Thanks for fast reply, but alas it didn't help.

There is even STRANGE behaviour: When I copy big file to server, speed
is around 12MB/s,
but if I start another copying to server from different machine, speed
of copying goes significantly
up on both machines. What the hell ?

Robert Schetterer napsal(a):

> Hi Karel,
> upgrade samba
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/samba/3.0/x86_64/

upgraded, didn't help

> as well there a perfomance issues known to the webclient service
> in win xp , so just stop it.

disabled, didn't help

> slow down logging at samba , try set sendfile parameter to no,

log level is 1, just info of connections; 0 didn't help

> read
> http://info.ccone.at/INFO/Samba/speed.html

tested all hints,  no  impact on performace at all

> check your nic ,switching, firewalling ( if exist )

tested two gigabit switches, two nics

> try settings like this
> [bigshare]
> ~         path = /home/jeremy/tmp/manyfilesdir
> ~         read only = no
> ~      case sensitive = True
> ~         default case = upper
> ~         preserve case = no