[Samba] Problems building samba+AD/LDAP support on Solaris 8

James Tullett JTULLETT at thebritishmuseum.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 12:13:32 GMT 2005

Hello all,

I am in the process of building a samba 3.0.11 service on a Solaris 8
server. I want to authenticate Windows Network accounts using a Win2000
Domain Controller.  The Solaris machine is intended to act as an ADS
Domain Member, and to authenticate Windows Network domain user accounts
on the Sun using winbindd.  The network operates in mixed mode in order
to operate some old NT workstations and servers.

I had some issues using the SUNW LDAP libraries, and decided to try
OpenLDAP instead.

I have downloaded the OpenLDAP libraries (1.2.11) from
sunfreesoftware.com, and installed them.  I was however unable to
configure Samba to have LDAP support.  An inspection of the config.log
file showed that there was a missing symbol (a function?) in the
library, "ldap_initialise".

LDFLAGS and CFLAGS were set thus :-

LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib"
CFLAGS="-I /usr/local/include"

Inspection of the ldap library on /usr/local/lib, libldap.a, shows that
there is no ldap_initialise function, only a openldap_initialise
function.

What versions of Kerberos and OpenLDAP would be most suitable to use on
Solaris 8 and samba 3.0.11 for use with ADS?

Thankyou for your patience.
--
James Tullett
Programmer/Analyst, The British Museum